Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Four Weeks to Go





Marty and I are becoming a tad anxious. With only four weeks to go the weather in the Northern Plains is starting to change. Last weekend the winds came straight out of the north - a sure sign of rough weather to come - and today the first warnings of snow in the Rockys appeared on the weather service.

The bikes are ready. At least we think so. I need to make one more surgical adjustment to the BMW luggage system to add a lateral support bar to the racks. I have learned from experience that if one lays the bike over the luggage will push the rack in just enough to put the case up against the exhaust pipe. So, tubular steel is the answer. When the surgery is complete I will post the pics.
But now I have finished building rack extensions and auxiliary fuel tank attachments. I have married a Canadian built rack extension called Kildala built by Rick Bizarro in British Columbia to an American ATV tank bracket and 1.5 gal tank made by Kolpin.

The whole system is a little expensive ($US180 total) but I hope it is worth it to have peace of mind and an extra 150+ km range on the bikes. I have more pictures for those F650GS owners who want to build their own system. Check ADVrider or F650.com for more detail.

No comments: